Common Texting Abbreviations

 







Texting has now been around for over 25 years and it’s estimated that 8 trillion text messages are sent globally every year. Like it or not, texting abbreviations (like the ubiquitous “LOL”) are very commonly used in messages—and not knowing their meaning can at best cause confusion and at worst get you in trouble.


2nite: Tonight

The numeral “2” is often substituted for “to” or “too” when texting. For example, “2moro” (“tomorrow”) and “G2G” (“got to go”).

Example: I’m free 2nite. Got dinner plans?

B4N: Bye for now

Example: Just got 2 work. B4N

BC: Because

Example: Tacos for lunch bc it’s Tuesday!

BTW: By the way

Example: BTW I ate your plums in the fridge. So sweet, so cold!

CYA: See ya

“C” is often used as a stand-in for “see,” such as “CYT” (“see you tomorrow”) and “CU” (“see you”).

Example: Great chat! Gotta study for my final now. CYA

DM: Direct message

On social media platforms such as Twitter and Instagram, a “direct message” is a private message that only the recipient can access, rather than a post that’s publicly visible.

Example: Thanks for responding to my “roommate wanted” ad. DM me for more info and photos of the room.

FTW: For the win

The exact origins of this phrase are debated—Hollywood Squares, rugby, and World of Warcraft have all been cited as popularizing it. It’s typically used as a rallying cry or as an exclamation of celebration, sometimes ironically.

Example: Almost finished with my final class project. One more late night ftw!

IDK: I don’t know

Example: Why does no one know what IDK means?

ILY: I love you

Example: Thanks for bringing me pizza today! ILY

IMO: in my opinion

Example: IMO that rug really tied the room together.

JK: Just kidding

Example: Just finished my novel! JK. 60,000 more words to go…

LOL: Laughing out loud

Example: Wondered why my mac n’ cheese was bland, then realized I forgot to add the cheese packet. LOL

NP: No problem

Example: NP that you’re running late, I just left the house too.

NVM: Nevermind

Example: Can you buy more ketchup? Oh nvm, just found the bottle in the door.

OMG: Oh my God

Example: OMG this bookstore is having a huge sale! Let’s hope there’s also a bookshelf sale…

OMW: On my way

Example: Feel free to grab a table, I’m OMW.

TBH: To be honest

Example: I am not a fan of jello. It’s way too wiggly, TBH

THX: Thanks

Example: Can you send me the link to the event page? THX

TMI: Too much information

Example: I just learned how hotdogs are made. TMI

TTYL: Talk to you later

Similar variations include “TTYT” (“talk to you tomorrow”) and “TTFN (“ta-ta for now”).

Example: Gotta sign off now. TTYL

YOLO: You only live once

Life is short, so why not live it up? Seize the day. Step outside of your comfort zone. Take risks. Do what’s exciting, silly, fun, or even a little dangerous.

Example: Ordering the extra extra spicy wings against my better judgement. YOLO

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HokBen di Kota Batam

Kampung Nelayan Buffet Ramadhan

Mahkamah Agung Republik Indonesia